Monday 8 August 2016

financial toll

i simply can't believe the costs of having a child, particularly in Toronto.

but even before a child is born, there are costs associated with the healthcare during pregnancy.

and then there are even greater costs when it comes to a complicated pregnancy.

I know i really can't complain because at least we have such a good health care system in Canada, relatively speaking. Something else I've been grateful about in this journal is that we are financially stable and don't have to worry too much about finances.

But what I do worry about, having been used to working with the public for so many years, is how people in less fortunate financial situations deal with this sort of thing.

some of the costs I've had to endure:
- additional doctor's notes. There was the note that indicated my expected due date, the 3-page form that my employer wanted, and the note that my employer wanted indicating that I needed modified duties at work. Total so far of $100
- parking downtown at the hospital, on average $20 each time. I was advised against walking or taking public transit, so my options, I was advised by my OB, are to drive or take a taxi
- Driving into work now and paying for parking daily at the office. I am so ridiculously fortunate I get to choose which office I work from. If I need to work downtown, that's about $20/day.
- luckily doesn't apply to me, but being unable to work half a day every single week  - I can imagine for some, that's a lot of money lost. Not to mention how much money would be lost if my work could not provide modified duties and I had to go on sick leave.

also advised to do as little as possible, I am not cooking or buying groceries. Sometimes without assistance, the best thing to do in order to "do as little as possible" is to buy ready-to-eat food. Not a cheap option. Or if I need to do a quick grocery stop, I don't bother shopping around for cheap things, I have to stick to the smaller grocery store with parking close to the entrance, etc.

More things that I think doctors don't think about when they put these life-altering restrictions and expectations of you....  Or they think about, but what other option is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment