Friday 5 August 2016

Vaginal Progesterone

I decided to write a post about my experiences thus far with vaginal progesterone

i feel like there is so much left unsaid when prescribed this. Or at least that was my experience. My OB said to insert vaginally at night and that I could have some discharge overnight.

Well my partner went to pick them up. I told him to make sure he got specific instructions from the pharmacist. He gets home, and I ask him questions about insertion, and he tells me nothing. He tells me the pharmacist said nothing about use. He just handed me the print-out that talks about side effects etc. Generic printout for anyone taking progesterone.

So naturally, I google it. I hear some people say they use an applicator,, some one said their partner inserts because it can go deeper. Well I had no applicator and my OB told me later on, just insert it. Don`t worry about exactly where it lands.

After you insert it, apparently you`re supposed to lie down and wait about 10-30 minutes. I haven`t tested this, but I read some people say that if you pee or get up too soon, they can come out. So pee first, and make sure you`re ready to lie down.

There is definitely discharge. I remember reading someone write "I thought i was done with panty liners now that I'm pregnant!" but nope, I've read lots of people say you need to wear them all the time, until you finish with the progesterone. And thus I wear liners all the time. The discharge is definitely worse overnight and first thing in the morning. I could probably go without during the day, but there is a non-zero amount of discharge.

The other 'nice' thing I learned about these, if I believe my OB, is that there are no negative effects to baby or I, and no negative consequences of stopping at any time.

Oh, somewhat related... something that my OB didn't mention - although she did say that with a short cervix, you aren't supposed to have sex, she didn't mention that you are apparently not supposed to be sexually aroused at all either - no arousal, no orgasm. Fun! The things doctors overlook mentioning....

No comments:

Post a Comment