Tuesday 30 August 2016

24 weeks + 4 - hospital discharge

I had my 2nd in-hospital ultrasound yesterday. Measurements stayed stable between 0.9 to 1.1 cm. So I was discharged home last night.

The odd thing was that again, i applied fundal pressure, and it seemed that my cervix lengthened. She didn't bother to measure it though.

The disturbing part of yesterday was that I was told so much conflicting advice yesterday. Or so it felt to me.

The discharge forms say to pretty much replicate my activity in hospital - that would mean being in bed most of the day, not getting up to prepare meals, or do any cleaning whatsoever, do everything seated including brushing my teeth/wash my face etc. Whereas a nurse told me that I can do some like cooking and light cleaning, e.g. put something in the oven and sit down. I was told that I can go up/down stairs. No lifting.

The doctor there told me that I can walk around the block, do some light cooking.

My OB on the other hand has told me in the past to not walk farther than my mailbox or driveway which is very different from "Walk around the block".

A nurse in the past had told me to be on bedrest as much as possible basically. Stay horizontal when possible.

people online in forums and facebook seem to always say to do less, that bedrest works.

in the end, the bottom line, it's clear to me, is that the evidence for bedrest is inconclusive, or at worst, is even unsupported. It has to do with what is feasible and the amount of risk that I am comfortable with. I am so lucky to have a supportive husband who wants me to do as little as possible for the next month, the most crucial weeks - weeks 24 to 28, thus we will replicate my hospital stay as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment